We’re looking to expand our Resource Center at Harvest Naperville, and I was asked to put together a list of books that would help provide a foundation upon which, Lord willing, we will one day expand. Below is my list of 13 books, in no particular order, that I included. If you had to make a list of 10-15 foundational books to encourage/edify those in your church, what would it look like?
- The ESV Study Bible (Crossway)
- Christian Beliefs: Twenty Basics Every Christian Should Know, by Wayne Grudem*
- The Knowledge of the Holy, by A.W. Tozer
- The Pursuit of Holiness, by Jerry Bridges
- The Reason for God, by Tim Keller
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, by Donald Whitney
- The Holiness of God, by R.C. Sproul
- God Wrote a Book, by James MacDonald
- Living the Cross-Centered Life, by C.J. Mahaney
- The Masculine Mandate, by Richard Phillips
- Practical Theology for Women, by Wendy Alsup
- This Momentary Marriage, by John Piper
- Grace Based Parenting, by Tim Kimmel
*Christian Beliefs is the most elementary version of Grudem’s Systematic Theology. There is also an intermediate level edition entitled Bible Doctrine: Essential Teachings of the Christian Faith. Any of these books could readily be selected to provide a systematic theology resource to those in the church you attend.